Sunday 4 March 2012

Love Bugs

So I was labeling my pictures for tonight's post and I just realized that its March already.  I marked all of my pictures as 'February' yesterday, lol.  I guess I'm in denial that the year is going by so quickly!  :)

With the card I made today I thought I would try some paper piecing.  I've been seeing this on a bunch of blogs and videos lately and I love the look but for some reason I never try it.  Tonight I thought I would try and as I was going through my stamps I realized the reason I don't paper piece that often is because I don't have a lot of stamps that can easily be paper pieced.  I guess thats something to keep in mind the next time I go stamp shopping, but for the time being I found a cute one to try the technique out with.


Once I chose the cute stamp set from Stampin' Up! I chose some pattern papers from Lily Bee Design, and some coordinating solid card stock.  I stamped my images in black, and coloured what I didn't paper piece with my SU  Stampin' Write markers, and a gray Copic marker.  After gluing down the pieces I added some Sakura glitter pen, and inked all of the papers I was using with some brown around the edges.  After assembling everything the way I wanted I decided the card needed a bit more colour so I added the blue ribbon.

I love how the glitter pen turned out as you can still see the pattern paper underneath but it defines some of the details of the stamp.  Here is a closeup:


I used some leftover scraps and another stamp from the same set for the inside, leaving a blank space for a handwritten sentiment:



The colour scheme I used here, and the layout, are not normally what I go to, and I think thats why I love this card so much.  I will definitely be paper piecing in the future, hopefully with some larger images.  :)

I'm entering this card into the following challenges:
  1. The Pink Elephant - Challenge Sketch #137
  2. Craft Your Passion - Paper Piecing
  3. Creative Card Crew - Humour
The supplies I used are as follows:

Card stock:  Stampin' Up!  Dusty Durango textured, Very Vanilla, Crumb Cake.  Lily Bee Design Head Over Heels 6x6 Tiny Tablet.

Stamps:  Stampin' Up! Love Bug.

Ink:  Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Chestnut Roan, Memories Black

Markers:  Stampin' Up! Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, Real Red.  Copic W3.  Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Stardust.

Embellishments:  American Crafts satin ribbon, Recollections brads.

Adhesive:  Tombo Mono permanent adhesive runner, Glue Dots, foam squares, generic glue stick.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, scissors, We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper, Stamp-a-ma-jig.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I think your card is beautifull.
    Thank you for playing with us at Craft your Passion.
    LG Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!! Love the little Love Bugs and your great take on this weeks sketch. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant!!
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)