Tuesday 10 July 2012

Use it Tuesday Challenge #35 Use Embossing


Welcome to my first post as an official design team member for Use it Tuesday!!  The challenge this week is to use embossing on a project.  This is what I came up with:


Oh, and by the way it was my mom's birthday yesterday.  Happy Birthday Mom!!  (Don't worry, I wished her a happy birthday yesterday too, lol)  This is the card I made for her.

I love embossing, but I still had some stuff in my stash that I hadn't gotten around to using yet.  For example, the pink and yellow embossing powder I bought from Scrapbook Steals well over a year ago and have never used.  I almost always use metallic or white embossing powder so I just don't think of it.  Well this was the perfect opportunity to haul them out and I love how it turned out.

Once I decided on the shades of embossing powder I chose card stock to coordinate, cutting both a card base and a panel for the front.  I decided to use my Cuttlebug and an embossing folder I haven't used in a long time.  After dry embossing the card base, heat embossing the main panel, and inking everything with some pink chalk ink,  I added some washi tape and ribbon, and adhered the panel to the card base.

I made one of my scrunchie flowers and this time I decided to use some regular old kraft paper from a roll. This stuff is great to have around because you can use it for almost anything - lay it down over your table when you  have a particularly messy project, lay a big piece on the floor so children can draw or paint on it, and my favourite thing is to use it for presents as you can decorate it according to the occasion.  I've never used it on a card though, so this time I decided to use it to make a flower.  It worked  really nicely because it is so thin. Once my flower was assembled I inked it with more pink and added a lovely sparkly gemstone to the middle.



To finish I adhered a birthday sentiment, added a cheater knot, and added some Prima flowers with my scrunchie flower.  For a bit more sparkle I added some Sakura glitter pen to the embossed flower images.



I kept the middle of the card simple with a cream panel inked with pink and a simple birthday sentiment.  I think this turned out to be a lovely summer birthday card!  :)




Why don't you come play along with us?  You can make anything, not just cards, as long as you are using 'hoarded' supplies.  Visit Use it Tuesday  and add your project to the Inlinkz by Friday July 20th. The winner will be asked to be a guest designer for an upcoming challenge.  Be sure to tell us in your post what you used from your stash and that you are participating in the Use it Tuesday challenge.  I can't wait to see what you all come up with!!  :)

These are the supplies I used:

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up!  Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla.  Kraft paper from a roll.

Stamps:  Stampin' Up!  On Your Birthday, Bitty Birthday.

Ink:  Color Box Fluid Chalk Ink Rouge, Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark Watermark Ink.  American Crafts Zing Opaque embossing powder Rose, Lemon.

 Embellishments:  Prima ribbon, Prima Flowers Camille Almanac, Le Box Boutique washi tape, Recollections Gemstone stickers, Sakura Glitter Pen Clear Star.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, foam squares.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug embossing folder from Paperlace II set, sponge.

5 comments:

  1. Nice birthday card and really cool craft flower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool embossing and I really love that scrunchie flower too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I jut love those embossed flowers!! And your scrunchie flower is terrific! I glad you're on the Use It Tuesday team for the next six months. I look forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these color combination and your flower is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)