Monday 24 September 2012

Craft Your Passion #129 Buttons and Bows

Its time for another challenge at Craft Your Passion Challenges.  This week we're asking you to use buttons and bows on your project.  This is what I came up with:


I started with the image from our sponsor Stamp Fairy.  She's cute isn't she!  Once I had her coloured I masked the image and sprayed with various mists, with the intent to give the background a bit of interest without being too dark.  I trimmed the piece down, corner rounded the edges, and inked the edges with light brown.


Once the image was complete it was time for the rest of the card.  I wanted to make something a bit more simple than usual and I had an idea for a fun background.  I had gotten some handmade japanese paper at a local art store and I cut it down to be slightly smaller than my card front.  I first folded the sheet in quarters lengthwise, then folded the resulting strip back and forth diagonally.  I used my bone folder during this step to make sure that the fold went through all of the layers.  Once I unfolded I had a faux-embossed chevron background!  I love how the handmade paper looks, and this technique is really fun!  I definitely will be trying this again. 

 
I decided on a white card base, and before adhering the chevron piece to the base I added the image on some foam tape, some bakers twine and a wood button.  I love these embellishments but once the panel was adhered to the base I decided that it was too white.  I really tried to hold myself back but I couldn't help it!  I used a scratch piece of paper to cover the image and embellishments and added some bronze mist to the top left and the bottom right corners.  I think it was the perfect thing to tie it all together. 



Won't you join us?  Simply create your project with buttons and bows and add it to the Inlinkz at Craft Your Passion Challenges by September 30th.  Also visit the site to see what great prizes you can win this week, and for some great inspiration from our talented DT!  :)


I used the following supplies for my project:

Card Stock:  Gina K Designs Pure White, Japanese handmade paper.

Stamp:  Stamp Fairy Betsy

Ink:  Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Creamy Brown

Mists:  Shimmerz Paints Chick-a-dee, Heavy Metal, Bronze Bombshell

Markers:  Neopiko 2 Y548, Bic Mark Its Tiki Hut Tan, Pink Flamingo, Yellow Blaze, Forest Green.

Embellishments:  Maya Road button from Vintage Embellishment Pack, Twinery Buttercream bakers twine.

Adhesive:  Foam squares, Artists Loft Adhesive Mini Dots, Scotch Quick Dry, Dotto repositionable adhesive.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper, Ranger Blending Tool.

4 comments:

  1. The faux-embossing is so clever! I should have thought of that on the embossing week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous combination of techniques on this project. Love all of the misting and the handmade paper is so cool. Thanks for breaking down the process step by step. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cathy! I love what you did with the background! I stared at that trying to figure out how you did that and finally discovered you explained how! Thanks - it makes a great look!
    ~ginny
    RubberMAD
    www.ggetty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy, your card is so cute. Really CAS but cute.
    LG Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)