Saturday 18 May 2013

Get Inspired - Ombre

Welcome to the first post of a new column on MFP Speedy TV called Get Inspired!  This will be a weekly column posted every Saturday at MFP Speedy TV, and posting will shared by me and fellow senior DT member Marilynn.



As you may have gathered from the title, we want to offer you some inspiration on a weekly basis.  Do you ever feel like you want to make something but you don't have any ideas?  Or do you have an event to make a card for but you feel like you lost your mojo?  Well, we are here to help!  Every other week we will present you with something we found inspirational, and then make something based on that.  The following week the other person will make something using the same inspiration. This way you will get two different perspectives from the same inspiration!  How fun is that!?

This week I was feeling inspired by ombré.   I've been seeing ombré everywhere lately and I love it!    Its a method of shading where a colour goes from dark to light.  You can see it in clothing, nails, hair, yarn, art, and probably lots of other places that I haven't thought of.   One place you can definitely see it is Pinterest. As I was thinking of ombré, I knew that Pinterest is where I could find the perfect picture to demonstrate.


Isn't it pretty?  I love green so this one immediately caught my eye.  I tried to find where this picture came from, but it the pin didn't link back to the original source or include a name.  So, if you know where this comes from please let me know so I can give credit!  Here is what I came up with:



I thought it would be fun to haul out my paints for this one.  I used  only green, white, and black, and gradually mixed the colours so I could create the ombré effect.  I used a white card base and black embossing so that the green would stand out. I flipped the panel as I liked the dark coming from the top a bit better. A little twine and some gems added nice contrast.


I used the Mark's Finest Papers stamp set called "Hum Along", and I love the birthday sentiment with the little humming bird, its a fun surprise for the inside.


So that's it for me!  Don't forget to go to the Get Inspired page at MFP Speedy TV to see what MariLynn does  next week.  In the meantime have a look around you and see if anything inspires you.  Inspiration to create can come from anywhere!

If you are not a member of MFP Speedy TV, its a free social networking site focused on stamping and cardmaking with MFP stamps.  In additon to our column you will find lots of inspiration, including other informative columns on a daily basis, so why not click over and see what you are missing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Cathy, for the inspiration. I am off of to my studio to play with paint.

    Come and see what I've done! kren @
    http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)