Saturday 6 July 2013

Get Inspired - America

Hi Everyone, Happy Saturday! Its my turn to contribute for our Get Inspired column over at MFP Speedy TV!


Last week MariLynn used the below picture she took of her sons' Boy Scout troupe on Flag day .  Click here to see the beautiful card she made .


With Independance Day just passing in the US, and MariLynn's story of the day she captured in her picture inspired me to make a patriotic card, so I used a recent Mark's Finest Paper's set called "Be Proud"  Here is what I came up with:


My first idea was to try making a stylized American flag, but since I'm not American I thought I didn't want to offend anyone (I even looked up the proper way to display the US flag vertically, lol), and I thought it would be fun to make an actual flag out of paper.  It turned out much better than I thought it would!


I started with a kraft base to coordinate with the scouts' shirts, and layered a white panel.  I trimmed some 1/4" strips out of red card stock and adhered them with foam tape.  A small panel of navy was adhered over the strips with more foam tape.  I stamped the sentiment, rounded the corners and added some twine before adhering with a double thickness of foam tape.


At first I thought of drawng the stars with a glitter pen or a white gel pen, but I always find drawing stars difficult, and doing this 50 times may not be the best way to keep my sanity, lol.  So I turned to my 'work-horse' embellishment and used gems.  I love them - 50 times the sparkle!!  Of course I added more gems to the sentiment.  You really can never have too many.  ;)


For the inside of the card I layered a simple panel of white with the verse from the same stamp set.  I didn't think any more embellishment was needed as the verse stands for itself.

I really love how this card turned out!  I may even have inspired myself to make a Canadian version one of these days.  Are you inspired to create?  If so why not let us know what you make in the comments below...

As I mentioned before, this post is part of the  Get Inspired page at MFP Speedy TV .   If you are not a member of MFP Speedy TV, its a free social networking site focused on stamping and cardmaking with MFP stamps.  In additon to our column you will find lots of inspiration, including other informative columns on a daily basis, so why not click over and see what you are missing!

So thats it for me this week! Next week I will have some new inspiration for you.  In the meantime our July blog hop starts on Tuesday, and a sneak peak will be on Monday.  I hope to see you around the blogosphere then!  :)

1 comment:

  1. What a great card. Lots of cutting but a great result with all that bling too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)